Tuesday, July 24

Repost: instant book-lovin'



Found this while cleaning up my posterous "space" - from way back in October 2010 - and really the only thing worth calling a "post" over there. 


But the points are still valid - even if the tech reading has slowed down a bit in terms of books - got a bit o.d'ed there for a while - too much reading compared to coding or use of the materials.


Just (28.10.10) bought and starter reading JS patterns, and one small thing (or three) struck me as a good sign of the times in publishing;


First off, I bought it directly from O'reilly - via a promotional tweet. Forwarded by Tim O'reilly - direct relationships works really well in defined niches or areas of interest, social curation at its best, and serendipity in effect as I had just read some comments regarding the book (@rmurphy and the pubsub hubbub )

Secondly, the acknowledgments features not only bloglinks but twitter names for users such as @rem (not only html5 mad skillz) - sign of the times in terms of discovery and dialogue globally, weaving between timezones and cultures. And out in the open, not behind closed doors or sites, but on blogs and open streams available for all.

And finally I logged on and started reading the pdf version in Safari on the iPad because the laptop ran out of juice before I got around to syncing out the epub (or emailing myself the pdf) - instant gratification triggered the purchase right now rather than getting the kindle version at some later date when I really have the time to read it properly.


Going digital means less bad vibes for picking up more books - but that also actually leads to reading more because they are available, and I don't have to lug them around.